Friday, January 15, 2010

Come join us in our classroom...

We have been singing a winter song asking the question:
What warms me up on a cold, cold day?
A sweater warms me up in a cozy way.

What warms me up on a cold, cold day?
A blanket warms me up in a snuggly way.

What warms me up on a cold, cold day?
Hot chocolate warms me up in a sweet, sweet way.

What warms me up on a cold, cold day?
A hug warms me up in a friendly way.

We continue the song adding in other stanzas of things that help us warm up on a cold winter day.
We have this song on the wall in our library.


To warm us up on a cold day...
We made hot chocolate to drink after playing outdoors. We were cold but the hot drink made us feel so warm. Mmmm the taste, the setting, the atmosphere was so peaceful, so relaxing, so delicious.
In order to drink something hot you need to slow down. Take small sips, blow on the hot drink, patiently wait to drink it up. We are getting into the habit of finding moments to slow down and find happiness in the quietness. It was a very special experience especially for us to enjoy this moment with our friends.


We build on our vocabulary to help us be expressive and descriptive. We use the words like hot or cold to describe different things of different temperature.
We played a game of sorting through various foods that we like to eat, some foods that are hot and some that are cold.





Literature has the power to excite and teach us about so many interesting things.
We have been reading many winter themed books and learning about this cold and quiet season.
Each book shares with us winter ideas either through beautiful illustrations or eloquent words.
There are many things we can take away after reading a good book. Maybe we might even be inspired to write our own story book!
After reading, Snowballs, by Louis Ehlert we were excited to use our creativity to make a snowman or snowlady of our own.
Take a look at the details in each of the children’s work.




Moussia:

“It is a snowlady.

Her mouth is from corns.

Her nose is red.

She has a pink and yellow eyes.

She is wearing a pink dress.”






Elisheva:

“I put eyes and nose. I put a scarf on his neck.

He has buttons down on his feet.

He is wearing boots in the snow.”









Jasmin:
"It is my snowman.
He has hair on his head
and he has two hands."









Elana:

“My snowman has a hat on his head.

He has a button nose.”










Delia:

“It is a Snowgirl. I put six buttons on her.

She has two arms. She has hair on her head.

I used beans for her eyes.”








Carly:

“I put buttons and some beads on the scarf.

The snowman has a belly.

He has a red mouth and pink arms.

I used little ballies and squeezy things for his eyes.

He has colorful hair. He has a blanket because

He is cold. I like my snowman.”







Kristina:

“He has eyes.

I put corn for his mouth.

He has buttons.

And he has boots on.”







Olivia:

“My snowman has a green nose and eyes.

He has hair on the top of his head.

It has two arms.

He has a scarf for the snow because

it is cold. He has two boots and buttons.”









David:

“I made a snowman

He has eyes.

Snowman’s nose is blue.”







Shalom:

“I put hair all over his head.

He has brown boots on his feet.

He has eyes and nose and cheeks.

He has an ear on his head. I need to

give him another ear so he can have

two ears. He has buttons that are for

his hands.”





Winter time is a quiet time, winter time is a relaxing time. During winter the plants and trees stop growing, now is the time where they just relax. They do not use their energy to grow leaves or flowers, they rest. Many animals are resting during this time as well.
We have been personalizing this message of the importance of the need to relax. Our bodies too need to slow down sometimes. We do this when we let our bodies rest and take a nap. Some people enjoy relaxing and reading a book others might enjoy the softness of quiet music. These and other methods help us relax and allow our bodies this time that it needs.
This idea of 'relaxness' also translates that if something happen that we do not like we can learn how to help our bodies not get so worked up but handle it in a relaxed manner.

Enjoy your weekend, hope it is a relaxing one.
Shabbat Shalom
Morah Batsheva

No comments:

Post a Comment